Monday, August 3, 2009

A few thoughts from the last couple of days

As I mentioned yesterday, we went to a Freedom Concert last night. It was a really great night and I am thankful to Al and Sherry for giving us the tickets. I had never heard of this before and didn't really investigate it much before we went. There were some speakers (Sean Hannity, Kay Bailey Hutchinson, Rick Perry, Sam Johnson, and Oliver North) and some musical guests (Lee Greenwood, The Charlie Daniels Band, Michael W. Smith, and Billy Ray Cyrus). Rick Perry got the crowd fired up talking about states' rights, The Charlie Daniels Band rocked the house, and then Michael W. Smith led the crowd in some moving worship. It was quite an interesting mix! The highlight was hearing some of the stories of America's true heroes - our men and women serving in the armed forces. There were even two (wounded but recovering) members of the military who stood on the stage while Billy Ray Cyrus sang "All Gave Some, Some Gave All." Their wounds were visible and it was a poignant reminder of the price paid for the freedoms that we all too often take for granted. The night was inspiring, and I wish I could put all that I have been thinking into words. Maybe I will be able to do that in time. For now, I am trying to remember to pray more earnestly and more regularly for those serving in our military and the families who are waiting and praying for them to come home safely.

On a much lighter note, the boys and I took a trip to Arlington and Fort Worth today. We visited my good friend Jenn, had lunch with her, and then took a tour of the Ballpark at Arlington with her. The boys seemed to have a good time, but it definitely tired Joel out. He even took a little nap on the ride home. Here are just a few of my favorite pictures from today.

1 comments:

jenn said...

It was a fun day! I also took a little nap after all the fun. :)

| Top ↑ |