Tuesday, September 2, 2008

First Day of School

The first day of kindergarten finally arrived! Everyone got up shortly after 7am, so I was able to make the breakfast that Evan requested - pancakes and eggs. I warned him not to expect this every morning, but it was good today.

After breakfast the boys had time to play with some of their newly organized toys, and then it was off to school! I decided that it was time for Joel to carry his own diapers in a backpack and that today was a good day to start. So, both of the boys posed for pictures for me with their backpacks on. Evan was in a good mood and was making funny faces for the pictures.

Today we walked him to his room, but from now on he will go by himself. The teachers said that we can walk them to the top of the stairs, but from there the kindergartners need to go to the room on their own. (We will probably do the carpool lane when it starts next week; the teachers on duty get the kids out of the vehicles and march a group up the stairs.)

Evan had no problems going into his classroom (once he found it). I tried to see if he could remember where it was, but he had only been there once and that was last Thursday. After he got his backpack put away, he told me bye and went in without a backward glance. I took a picture, and he didn't even seem to notice.

So then Joel and I had to decide what to do with the rest of our day. We ran an errand at the post office and then came home. We played for a while, and then Joel watched a little tv while playing. I started getting very sleepy, so I decided it was time to get out of the house. We picked up some Stampin' Up supplies that I had ordered which was very exciting for me, and then we went to McDonald's which was very exciting for Joel! Joel got a Star Wars toy in the Happy Meal and played on the indoor playplace for a bit. He did make a friend, but he decided after just a few minutes that he wanted to go home. So we went to the grocery store and then home to put up the groceries and kill about 15 minutes.

Joel was kind of tired by this point and was complaining about his shoes as we headed out to pick up Evan. About halfway there (of an approximately 7 minute drive) I realized that he was quiet, looked in the rearview mirror, and saw that he was asleep.

I managed to wake him up when we got to the school, and we headed to the playground to get Evan. Evan's last period of the day is recess in the playground, so we get to pick him up from there.

After we got home, Joel went down for a nap. Evan and I had a snack while talking about his day and looking over all of the stuff that he brought home from school. He said that he liked everything and that craft time was his favorite part of the day. After that he just played around here with some toys he hasn't seen in a while (thanks to the new organization scheme) and watched a little tv.

This was one of the best days that we have had in a while. I think that Evan was really missing the other kids and the structure of school. So, we are thankful that school has started, even though it will be hard to adjust to him being out of the house for most of 4 days in a row.


Joel, Melody, Grant, & Kate said...

I'm so glad Evan had a great day, and you, too. You certainly deserve it!

Anonymous said...

what an exciting milestone for Evan! yay for him! they're getting so big :) -michelle s.

Anonymous said...

wow Evan is going to school already? rebekah r.

| Top ↑ |