Monday, April 6, 2009

Weekend update

We had a pretty busy weekend around here. Normally I have lots of things planned, but we just stay home. This weekend we actually did the things I had planned, and had fun!

Saturday morning was our city's Easter egg hunt. The boys were excited to dust the cobwebs off of their Easter baskets and give them a "trial run", so to speak. The eggs were just lying on the ground, but the lawns were divided by age group. Each group went 15 minutes apart. Joel's group was first (0-3 years), but he seemed confused about what to do at first. He just stood there looking at us and the eggs. We finally convinced him to pick up the eggs, but he would show us every one before he put it in his basket. It was like he wanted to make sure what he was doing was okay. He wound up with a respectable nu,ber of eggs, but most importantly, he seemed to have fun by the end of it.

Evan's age group was next (4-6 years) and these kids were more aggressive. (So were the parents, but that can be saved for another post.) Evan got in there and started picking up, but the crowd kind of overwhelmed him toward the end. He had wanted to get more eggs than Joel, but I am not sure if that happened. It was close, and he was a good sport about it.

They had some booths and games set up and we played a few of those before leaving. Joel was excited to see all of the area "mascots" again (like the Chick-fil-a cow). Evan really liked the games. They both had a great time in the bounce house, but Evan's visit was a little shorter. The man in charge let Joel in as the last kid in the group. Joel was doing well, and all of a sudden he started looking sad. He finally told us he wanted Evan with him. The man didn't realize they were brothers, or he would have let Evan in earlier. Thankfully, Evan didn't complain that he didn't get as long to jump.

We couldn't stay too long because Evan and I had an important date planned. We went to an exhibition game at the Ballpark in Arlington to watch the Rangers v. the Royals. It was his first game and he really enjoyed it! He watched the whole thing. Okay, at least we stayed for the whole game. He missed the batter splitting his bat on a hit because he was looking around. It's a big place and a cool stadium, so that is understandable. He did learn where the ball and strike counter was and kept watch of that for most of the game. He also had fun playing in the kids' zone area before the game. He won some baseball cards and a new Rangers hat for me. (I guess it was a giveaway from a previous year, and it was not a child's size hat.) We had fun and I think we will try to go to some more games this summer.

After the game I took him to dinner at IHOP. He has been before, but he didn't remember it. He got a Rooty Jr. breakfast and LOVED it! Apparently I have created another IHOP monster (like me), because yesterday he was asking when we could go back.

After that, we went home. He got to spend some time playing Legos with Joel and Steve before bedtime. I don't know what else Evan could have asked for in a day!

Sunday we went to church. Afterwards Steve and I had a meeting. We all got to eat pizza there before the boys went back to play and the meeting started. After the meeting, I took Evan to a pool party for one of his classmates. It was an indoor pool, but it was still pretty cold. He had fun, but I think he was pretty exhausted by the end of the day. I know that I was!!


Joel, Melody, Grant, and Kate said...

Sounds like you guys had a great weekend! We didn't make it to the Easter Egg hunt unfortunately but I'm glad your boys like it. Maybe next year...

| Top ↑ |