Saturday, September 19, 2009

Some days are like that, even in Australia*

So, we had gotten a sales flyer for Toys R Us earlier in the week with some really good sales. We needed to pick up some birthday presents, so we decided to go there yesterday afternoon. The one that I liked best is now closed, but there was another one "a little further" down the highway so we decided to go there. I looked up the directions, but didn't write them down. I saw the name of the exit we needed and the store was right off the highway so it should be easy -right?!? Yeah ... on the way we saw a sign for an outlet mall off the of the same exit that we needed. I thought the sign gave the exit number as 31. At that point the exits were numbered in the 400's or something. Soon, though, there was an exit 32A followed by a 33. Ummmm, where had 31 gone? We turned around and backtracked. Still no exit 31 so we turned around again. We saw the infamous outlet mall sign and realized that the exit was 37. What a difference a little line can make! At least we knew we weren't crazy in completely missing the name of the road or exit 31. So we went a few more miles and found the store.

Inside the store we started looking for the toys we had seen in the flyer. We found them, but there weren't any sales signs on them. Hmmmm ... I took a couple of the items up to the front to see if they were on sale. Yeah ... they weren't. I asked the cashier if she had a current flyer and she showed me the only one she could find. It ended today which made me guess that the flyer we had received at the beginning - middle of the week wouldn't start until Sunday. Seriously?!? After a little more investigation we found that to be the truth. So, we left Toys R Us with some ideas for Christmas (maybe), but no birthday presents.

So, Steve and I were a little frustrated, but were trying to make the best of the trip. We stopped at the outlet mall where I found some good deals. We also checked out some sporting goods stores to look at camping supplies for our upcoming camping trip. We finished the evening off with dinner at La Madeleine, which didn't go quite as well as I had hoped, but also wasn't as bad as the last time we tried to take the boys out to eat.

The highlight of the evening, however, was the comic relief provided by Joel. While we were driving home, Steve had asked who would be the stinkiest in the morning (since the boys would be missing showers again that night) and had then said, "My money is on your mom." Joel said, "I think it will be me, so you can put a penny on my head, Dad." After I laughed (loud and long) I had to make the connection for Steve. Steve told Joel that he had earned a penny for that one.

*If you don't know what this quote is from you should really read Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day.

1 comments:

Rebekah said...

Haha! I love the Alexander book! But I lost it. Boohoo!

| Top ↑ |