Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Happy St. Patrick's Day!

And what a day it has been - at least for Steve, my knight in shining armor.

So, it started with a trip to the gym this morning. I had a nice walk on the treadmill, stretched and chatted with a friend, and then tried to leave. Unfortunately, I had a VERY flat tire on the back of the van. My friend and her kids were supposed to be coming over to play. I couldn't call her because I didn't have my cell phone. Thankfully she had left her phone in the gym, so I caught her as she was going inside to get it. She let me use her phone to call Steve. During this time, I was trying to get the jack and spare tire out to change it myself. I couldn't find the spare because I didn't know if we had 2-wheel or 4-wheel drive. Plus, the directions for finding the spare just weren't that clear to me. I did know where the jack was, but it was jammed into the storage compartment and there weren't any directions on how to remove it. Steve is getting all of these questions and play-by-play over the phone, so he offered to come and fix it. I didn't think I would be able to do it, so I "let" him come and take care of it for me. The boys and I walked to McDonald's, and my friend and her kids joined us there for lunch and playtime. Steve did get the tire changed and then replaced at the dealership. Now I should be able to take the boys to the zoo tomorrow! What a GREAT husband I have!

The boys and I came home for a little while, where they watched a short movie about St. Patrick on VeggieTale's "Sumo of the Opera". (Really they watched the whole video, but I put it on for the St. Patrick short.) After that we got on our St. Patrick's Day green and went to our local library for a cake walk. The boys were very excited about the prospect of winning a cake. It took several "rounds", but they both finally won. In fact, right behind each other. Each player was assigned a colored number. Each round a winner was drawn from each of the three colors. Evan's number was drawn and while we were getting his certificate to pick out his prize, Joel's was drawn, too. So, technically, Joel wasn't there when he won, but he had walked around enough that he got his prize, too.

We had looked over the prizes earlier, and each of the boys had decided what they would pick. Evan's first choice was gone by the time we got there, so he picked some chocolate chip cookies. Joel's first choice was still there and he grabbed it up - a plate of brownies.

They could hardly wait to get outside and eat one of their treats.

Another exciting part of this event for Joel was getting to see all of the mascots that there were. He loved them all and kept waving at them, giving them five, etc. Evan, on the other hand, didn't want to have anything to do with them. He would tell Joel where they were so Joel could see them, though.


After they were done eating they got their faces painted too. Evan picked the rainbow first. Joel said rainbow at first, but was easily swayed by the suggestion of a shamrock. He said he wanted white, but then he was swayed to white outside and blue inside. He was very agreeable today. ;)


The boys are outside playing now, while our Irish dinner of corned beef, potatoes, and cabbage finishes cooking. I haven't made this meal before, so I am hoping it is good.

Well, that about sums up our day - except that I just discovered Joel was playing outside in his underwear but no shorts. It has been a while since I blogged, but maybe I will have more pictures and stories to share this week since it is Spring Break.

0 comments:

| Top ↑ |